Sojourners' online publication seeks a journalist and editor to write, report, solicit, edit, curate, package, and share stories of religion and justice.
Recognizing that religion and justice are two lenses that cut across many beats and verticals, we're looking for an inquisitive, digitally adept editor with a nose for religion stories in unfamiliar places — or unexpected religion stories in familiar places. Our ideal candidate will be a details-minded generalist, equipped to write/edit stories from religion in sports to denominational leadership changes to local organizing around clean water and sacred lands ... and curate them all under our Sojourners brand.
- Work directly and collaboratively with the Web Editor/Chief Digital Officer and the web team to create dynamic, timely content for Sojourners’ online publication.
- Copyedit and content edit submissions for the online publication.
- Report and write articles for the online publication.
- Produce quick-turnaround stories with a Sojourners take on breaking news.
- Contribute to soliciting and our short- and long-term story calendar.
- Cultivate our core contributors and recruit new contributors.
- Collaborate on integrated social media efforts.
- Represent Sojourners publications at public events, conferences, etc., as needed.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- At least two years’ experience editing for an online publication.
- Experience working on multiple pieces and with multiple writers at once.
- Writing and reporting clips, preference for religion/politics/culture/justice-focused stories.
- Experience using an enterprise content management system (Drupal preferred).
- Proficiency in utilizing Facebook and Twitter for publication and producing platform-appropriate messaging. Reddit, Instagram, and/or additional platforms a plus.
- Familiarity with audio/video production.
- Ability to move quickly from one project to the next, juggle multiple assignments at once, respond quickly to breaking news, and document it all on Slack.
- No qualms about using the Oxford comma.
- Degree in journalism or communications a plus.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three professional reference contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Sojourners is an equal opportunity employer that continually seeks to diversify its staff. People of color are highly encouraged to apply. Excellent benefits package includes paid health insurance, 20 days paid vacation, 401(k) plan, and a positive, faith-based work environment.