Do you have a heart for social justice and a strong personal faith that you apply to public life? Sojourners has an immediate opening for an experienced Director of Communications to join our Washington, D.C., staff. The Director of Communications is responsible for developing and coordinating an overall communications strategy for the organization, lifting up the lead voices of Sojourners Founder/President Jim Wallis and Executive Director Adam Taylor, and other Sojourners spokespeople and partners, by overseeing media requests, pitching, and outreach and helping to elevate Sojourners’ vision and voice in national, political, and religious media.
Media Relations for Sojourners’ President, Jim Wallis, and Sojourners
- Responsible for leveraging the message and public profile of the organization’s lead face and voice, President and Founder Jim Wallis, the voice of Executive Director Adam Taylor, other Sojourners spokespeople, and Sojourners’ campaigns, through pitching and media bookings to national, political, and religious media; assist the organization in lifting up new voices of color and women from Sojourners staff and partners.
- Identify and cultivate new opportunities and build new contacts to leverage and amplify the work of Jim Wallis, Adam Taylor, and Sojourners in the media.
- Develop and oversee media strategy working with the executive team and organizational messaging efforts.
- Work with the President’s Press Secretary and others in creating and responding to media inquiries, including in preparation for the President’s new book release and book tour; oversee the scheduling of interviews and the preparation of briefing documents in consultation with the President’s staff.
- Build relationships with reporters interested in the unique perspective, message, and work of Sojourners; provide background interviews for reporters and on-the-record responsibilities as needed.
- Lead the monitoring of news coverage and social media around Sojourners’ priority issues and coverage of the organization; identify opportunities to comment on stories of interest.
- Oversee and take responsibility for the tasks to strategize, write, and distribute relevant media advisories, press releases, and press kits.
- Oversee the President’s and organization’s social media, working with the Press Secretary and others.
- Work with the Press Secretary to manage all media-related projects, including press conferences, events, and projects as assigned.
- Work with and help build the capacity of the President, Press Secretary, Communications staff, Executive Director, Director of the President’s Office and Advocacy, and Director of Campaigns and Mobilizing in developing and implementing the communications strategy and talking points in relationship to advocacy and campaigns agendas.
- Manage Communications Department staff and fellow.
Press Support to Partners/Coalitions
- Liaise with outside partners in nationwide coalition media efforts such as the Circle of Protection and the Matthew 25 Pledge, and projects such as Lawyers and Collars.
- Provide pitching, media booking, and writing capacity for coalitions and key Sojourners partners.
- Help to lift up the voices of Sojourners partners and allies, especially new voices and faith leaders of color.
- Proven experience in press work, including pitching, media relations and follow-up, and media and messaging strategy.
- Experience with strategic planning, coalition work, budgeting, program evaluation, and supervision.
- Expert knowledge of the media and political world, as well as the church and religious world.
- Ability to develop and maintain media contacts and relationships.
- Understanding and experience with the message of Jim Wallis and Sojourners, and desire to apply personal faith to public life as Sojourners does.
- Knowledge of social, racial, gender, economic justice, war and peace, environmental justice, life, and dignity issues and the biblical and theological foundations and frameworks for addressing them.
- Excellent communication skills, including writing and editing, and speaking comfort and experience.
- Exceptional organizational skills to handle several assignments simultaneously, attention to detail, ability to multitask and prioritize; excellent interpersonal skills essential.
- Ideal candidate will show great discretion and selection on appropriate use of President’s voice, the Executive Director’s voice, and other Sojourners voices and contribution to press stories.
- Previous experience with media tracking software; exposure to Meltwater software a plus.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three professional reference contacts to email@example.com or Director of Communications Search, Sojourners, 408 C St. NE, Washington, DC 20002. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Sojourners is an equal opportunity employer that continually seeks to diversify its staff. People of color are highly encouraged to apply. Excellent benefits package includes fully paid health insurance, 20 days paid vacation, 401(k) Plan, and a positive, faith-based work environment.