The Sojourners Internship Program is a spiritual formation program that embodies Sojourners’ commitment to Christian discipleship, community, and vocation. Currently in its 33rd year, the yearlong program combines full-time jobs in our office with an opportunity to live in an intentional Christian community. Between seven and 10 interns are selected into the program each year.
Sojourners’ Internship Program has an integrated focus on:
- Life and Faith: Interns live together in Washington, D.C. and experience life as an intentional Christian community: sharing meals, a common budget, weekly house meetings, and communal prayer.
- Prayer and Discipleship: Sojourners’ interns participate in weekly faith and justice seminars, monthly chapel services, and three community spiritual retreats.
- Work and Vocation: Interns work full-time in the ministry of Sojourners. Each participant is placed in an entry-level position in one of our departments and is paired with a professional mentor.
Application Qualifications: The program is open to anyone 21 years or older (you must have a U.S. Social Security number). Married couples are welcome in the community, but both individuals must apply and be accepted into the program. We are an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity. Interns must commit to serve the entire program year: August 14, 2017 thru August 3, 2018.
Compensation: Sojourners pays all expenses relating to housing, meals, commuting, and health insurance for the community. Each individual also receives a $125 monthly stipend.
How to apply: Complete the application online or download and fill out the Word version and return to Sojourners. The application has four parts. Only completed application packets will be considered.
- Individual application
- Personal Essay
- Resume (cover letter is not needed)
- Three (3) Recommendation Forms: peer reference, clergy/faith leader reference, and employer reference.
The deadline to apply for the 2017-2018 cycle has now passed. Each year, the deadline falls on March 1.
Review and Acceptance: The selection process includes a review of your application by staff members, a phone interview and an offer of a specific position in the program. Applicants will be notified in April.
Applications for the 2017-2018 Cohort: choose one format